Each month Katrina will be providing you with information as to what has been “happening” at Oner Family Law. This will highlight the many different areas of family law in which we practice.
- We settled a complex property settlement matter at mediation where the parties had been separated for 10 years and matrimonial funds had been inter mingled with post-separation property acquisitions. The matter had been ongoing for some years and our client was very happy that the matter was finalised with all financial ties severed.
- We obtained instructions to act on behalf of a client who asserts that the parties’ defacto relationship ended some 15 years ago, with the other party asserting the relationship ended 2 years ago. The Court will need to determine when the relationship ended before proceeding further. If our client is successful, the case will be over with no defacto property settlement claim existing.
- We settled a property settlement matter by way of Consent Orders for a very wealthy client with a net pool in excess of $10,000,000.00, where both parties were sensible, resulting in a just and equitable outcome for both. The settlement was finalised at a small cost to the client given both parties were willing to negotiate a resolution quickly.
- We received instructions to act on behalf of a father with his matter involving property settlement, children and child support issues. The father intends to relocate overseas, raising the issue of the jurisdiction of the Child Support Agency overseas and the father’s obligations. We were able to successfully negotiate regular time between the father and child where the father had been denied such time by the mother.
- We appeared in Court on behalf of a mother involved in a very complex children’s matter where the children had not seen their father for some time due to serious allegations of family violence as against the father. We prepared thoroughly for this appearance and had independent subpoenaed evidence to be submitted to the Court supporting the mother’s claims. The parties consented to an interim supervised contact order being in place pending the preparation of a Family Report.
- We drafted and finalised on an urgent basis Consent Order documents for a client finalising both property and children’s matters where the other party had been refusing to negotiate or formalise a settlement on any issue. Once our client was able to convince the other party to do so, we managed to draft the Consent Order documents in record time including very detailed child Orders and property Orders favourable to our client before the other party changed their mind. Had the documents not been drafted as quickly, it is likely the agreement would not have been formalised.
- We attended at mediation with our client whose parents had gifted to the parties hundreds and thousands of dollars where the other party tried to deny such gifts which were easily proven by the provision of bank statements. After a difficult start to the mediation, we managed to settle property matters on a final basis, with our client receiving a just and equitable adjustment for the contribution made by her side of the family.
- We were involved in a settlement conference regarding a Wills and Estate dispute where a party to property settlement proceedings died during the Court proceedings. The matter settled shortly after the settlement conference along the lines suggested by us so as to finalise the matter with the Estate not needing to fund thousands of dollar in legal fees.